Sign In

Students’ Maintenance Grants - Frequently asked questions


Where can I register for my e-ID?

E-ID accounts are managed by the Identity Malta – visit their website here.

Students may request an e-ID account by phoning 25904300 or by emailing

Students who do not have a new Identity Card need to visit the Registration Offices in Blata l-Bajda Malta or in Rabat (Gozo), and apply for a new Identity Card while also providing an email address.


All information regarding e-ID accounts can be found at


What should I do if I have forgotten or wish to reset my e-ID password?

Students should visit the Identity Malta website and click on the link on the left ‘Forgot your Password?’ .

Students may also opt to phone the Identity Malta Offices and request a new password over the phone. This will be sent eletronically to the e mail address indicated on application for the e-ID account.


I need to amend my online application. What should I do?

Students who need to amend their online application after it has been submitted may access again their online application using their e-ID and password and make the necessary amendments, including changes in their IBAN.


It is very important that students who change course during the academic year, amend the online application accordingly. This is done by accessing the online application and pressing the ‘Add Course’ buttion. The details of the new course must be inserted.


What is an IBAN, and from where can I obtain it?

IBAN stands for International Bank Account Number.  It is made up of 31 alphanumeric characters and can be found in your bank statements.  The IBAN may be obtained from the bank’s Internet Banking services.  Alternatively, you may visit a branch of your bank and ask for the IBAN to which Students’ Maintenance Grants are to be credited. 


Students are to ensure that the IBAN is inputted correctly in the online application.



What documents should I attach to the online application for the Students’ Maintenance Grants?

First-Year students studying at a Post-Secondary Institution and at MCAST must attach all pages of their Secondary School-Leaving Certificate.


All students should also attach the Jobsplus Employment History, which can be downloaded from after logging in using the e-ID and password.  All students should also attach proof of their residence in Malta of the  five consecutive years prior to their date of application.


Why do I need so many documents for the application for Supplementary Allowances?

Applications for the Supplementary Allowances undergo more rigorous vetting than applications for the other Students’ Maintenance Grants, since total household income, employment and other factors are assessed before awarding this grant.


Online applications for the Supplementary Grants may remain pending if the students do not submit the requested documents. There shall be no further  processing of online applications after end June.


How can I appeal before the Students’ Maintenance Grants Board?

Students who wish to present their case before the Students’ Maintenance Grants Board must do so in writing and present the necessary documentation to prove their case. Students may use either the e mail address: or send the documents and covering letter by mail addressed to: SMGB, Attn: Dr Romina Cuschieri, Chairperson, Room 207, Great Siege Road, Floriana. VLT 2000.

The Board reserves the right to verify the information submitted and / or request additional information, as may be required.

What happens if I absent myself from lectures?

Students following studies at post secondary institutions and MCAST have their stipend deducted according to the absenteeism recorded by the relative institutions. Students must consult the Institutions’ Regulations regarding  attendance rules and records.


Students must note that for the purpose of Students’ Maintenance Grants they are entitled to 15 days paid sick leave, every academic year, on presentation of certification at the educational institute. Payment for a period beyond the 15 days must be authorised by the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board.