The Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board (SMGB) comprises eight members, who are appointed annually by the Hon. Minister for Education, Sport, Youth, Research and Innovation.
Mr Horace Laudi – Chairperson
Ms Patricia Buttigieg – Secretary
Mr Godfrey Testa – Board Member
Mr Josef Buttigieg – MCAST Representative
Dr Christopher Micallef – MFIN Representative
Ms Romina Sammut – UM Rector’s Office Representative
Ms Alexandra Gaglione – KSU Representative
Mr Bradley Debono – MCAST Students’ Representative
Duties and Procedures
The Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board’s main functions are to:
- Oversee the effective allocation and payments of Students’ Maintenance Grants to students;
- Offer guidelines and regularly review procedures in the management and implementation of all the stages leading up to payments of Students’ Maintenance Grants to students;
- Oversee the effective assessment, review and payment of Supplementary Allowances to eligible students;
- Manage, assess and implement any other scheme which the Hon. Minister for Education, Sport, Youth, Research and Innovation may launch from time to time;
- Process reports submitted from educational institutions and apply any sanctions when necessary;
- Oversee the management of payments and take action to recover any overpaid Students’ Maintenance Grants;
- Recommend changes to already-existing policies to improve the support the student receives.
The Board is responsible for the issuing of guidelines for sui generis cases and memos regarding procedures which need to be followed.
Board meetings are held monthly and are minuted. Minutes are duly signed by the Chairperson and by the Secretary of the Board. Due to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), updated minutes of each Board Meeting cannot be published, but they are kept for reference at the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Office.
The Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board works in liaison with the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Office, where all communication and correspondence is received and processed.
The Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board has always strived to implement initiatives to simplify and enhance the students’ experience when applying for Students’ Maintenance Grants.
Decisions are communicated in writing to the student via post and to the respective Stipends’ Office.