To implement and provide efficient services and to ensure effective delivery of such services to all schools in Malta and Gozo.
The Special Education and Resource Centres Section within the Student Services Department in the Directorate for Educational Services is the base for a number of services that provide support to students with Individual Educational Needs, to their families and in mainstream schools. The services include:
- Peripatetic Teachers for students with visual impairment in mainstream schools.
- Early Intervention Service for children with special needs who are still of pre-school age or have started their school experience at kindergarten level.
- Home Tuition Peripatetic Teachers for students who are absent from school on a long-term basis due to chronic illness or injury.
- Teachers working in Hospital Classes.
- Access to Communication and Technology Unit (ACTU).
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Team.
- Peripatetic Teachers for the Hearing Impaired who offer support to students with a Hearing Impairment attending mainstream schools.
- Transition Organisers.
- Learning Support Centres
This Section also manages the four Resource Centres (formerly referred to as Special Schools). These Centres are:
With the Reform of Special Schools these centres are now a resource to support inclusion of students with Individual Needs in all mainstream schools in Malta and Gozo.
- St Clare College, San Miguel Primary Education Resource Centre;
- San Gorg Preca College, Guardian Angel Secondary Education Resource Centre;
- St Benedict College, Helen Keller, Secondary/Young Adult Education Resource Centre;
- Maria Regina College, Dun Manwel Attard, Young Adult Education Resource Centre
- Gozo College Sannat Unit
Special Schools Reform